Our VMC Hawaii Playshop will start as scheduled.
Facilitated by Arthur Hull & Jim Boneau
Come to Hawaii!
Attending VMC's week-long Hawaii Facilitators' Intensive will connect you to a supportive international community of participants from many countries. Our week of community learning will help you develop your facilitation repertoire, inspire creativity, and build the foundation for new and growing friendships that will span the globe and last a lifetime.
And then there’s all the amazing music that we make together that we enjoy the most! We’ll fill ourselves with the magic of improvisational community music-making, including our legendary “Late Night” un-facilitated sessions. Aaaah!
Whether you are new to rhythm event facilitation, or an experienced pro... Whether this is your first Hawaii Playshop or your 20th, the 2023 Hawaii Facilitators Intensive Training will be the best place on the planet to advance your skills, replenish your inspiration, expand your network, propel your profession, and drum, drum, DRUM in the tropical sun!
The Facilitators' Intensive provides opportunities for networking with international Facilitators of all experience levels and professional backgrounds.
6-Day Basic Facilitators' Intensive
The Basic Intensive offers beginning and advanced Drum Circle Facilitators the skills to lead rhythm-based events for groups of all sizes and backgrounds. This week-long experience will immediately connect facilitators to a supportive international community while providing extensive opportunities to learn and develop facilitation skills in a safe environment. Participants of all levels will receive peer, mentor and advanced Facilitator support. This week goes beyond our weekend training with the presentation of more techniques, developing style, increasing depth, and extensive practical experience.
10-Day Mentor Experience
Advanced Leadership Facilitation • Community Mentoring
Facilitated by Jim Boneau & Arthur Hull
The Mentor Experience integrates expanded theory and advanced Drum Circle Facilitation practice as Mentors turn their practical skills into leadership experience.
Beginning with a Mentors-only weekend retreat, we bring our leadership community together. With Trainer oversight, Mentors will be assigned a small group of Facilitators to mentor through the Basic Facilitators' Intensive. Mentors will be instructed in specific process facilitation techniques that are essential to problem solving, communication and community building. Mentor meetings will take place to help process and facilitate the leadership experience.
Throughout the week, mentors will continue strengthening and enhancing their own DCF techniques, as they guide others through the learning process. Mentors receive critique and evaluation from senior Facilitators while receiving feedback from their mentor and peer groups.
For more details about the Mentor Experience, click here.
Village Music Circles Certification
For those Mentors ready to become VMC-Certified; the Mentor training provides a vehicle for achieving important requirements of the certification process. Click here for more about VMC Certification.
What Happens in Hawaii...
Group Rhythm Facilitation
- Gain and reinforce understanding of drum circle concepts and methods
- Expand your facilitation tool kit with games, activities, and more games!
- Adapt games for different specific populations
- Build skills to enhance a circle’s musicality with pitch, tempo, timbre, etc
- Practice, practice, practice — leading games and facilitating in-circle
- Deepen personal understanding and confidence about rhythm
- Improve drumming skills and sense of rhythm in your body
- Discover a variety of musical styles, forms and instruments
- Open your channels for musical improvisation
- Experience deep-groove, in-the-moment music-making like never before!
- Learn new ideas from experienced facilitators
- Jump in and stretch yourself in a supportive environment
- Learn ways to facilitate success before and after the circle
- Exchange ideas and advice to handle challenging situations
- Apply facilitation concepts to enhance your business and life
- Explore program designs for different populations
- Hear and share inspiring stories from around the world
- Expand and clarify your vision for this work
- Make connections for continuing support and collaboration
- CEU credits available for select professions
CEUs for Music Therapists
Earn 45 credits for the Hawaii 6-day training. Village Music Circles' courses are approved by the Certification Board for Music Therapists (CBMT) for Continuing Music Therapy Education credits. Village Music Circles (Provider #P-062) maintains responsibility for program quality and adherence to CBMT policies and criteria. Click here for Details.